Using an ergonomic chair for computer work has major importance nowadays. Studies say that lower back pain is the most common work-related ailment in people below age 45. Although many factors come into play, one of the primary aspects that causes this is poor ergonomics.
However, lower back pain is not the only ailment caused by sitting for prolonged periods in a bad chair and in the wrong position. It can also cause:
- Increased blood sugar levels and blood pressure
- Weight problem, especially in the waist area
- Increased risk of cardiovascular disease
Thus, sitting in an ergonomic chair for computer work becomes more important when you realize how many ailments are related to it.
What is an ergonomic chair?
Ergonomic chairs are chairs designed to be used at workstations. Manufacturers take into account multiple factors, such as employee comfort, support in the most affected areas, and adjustability.
Moreover, its main function is to help you sit in the correct position while you’re working while also allowing you to move freely and comfortably as you keep working.
Ergonomic computer chairs should take into account the following factors.
The seat cushioning works best when it is made of material that allows ventilation. It should also be thick enough for you to sit on it for prolonged periods without feeling tired.
This depends on the model and the price, but it would be best to choose an ergonomic chair that provides you with as much adjustability as possible. Thus, please consider the following factors if you’re already planning to invest in an ergonomic chair for computer work:
- Does it include a headrest? Is it adjustable?
- How versatile is the armrest adjustability?
- Can you adjust it to the optimal height based on your needs?
- Does it provide enough lumbar support – or allows you to adjust it to your needs?
- Is the seat tilt-adjustable?
If you have answered positively to the questions listed above, maybe you’ve found the best ergonomic chair for computer work.
Is investing in an ergonomic chair worth it?
Yes, it is. You should know that more than durability, numerous physical and mental health benefits will come into your life once you start taking office ergonomics more seriously. Please, pay attention to the following advantages you may enjoy upon purchasing an ergonomic chair:
- They will help you sit in the correct position.
- As you’ll adopt a better sitting posture, you’ll experience less pain in the lower back, neck, and even in the knees.
- Your hips won’t be under so much pressure as they would in a regular office chair.
- You’ll be able to boost your productivity as you won’t have to focus on the pain you feel.
- These chairs are intended for long-term use. Therefore, you can trust that they will last for a long time. This aspect is evidenced even further if we take into account that the manufacturers offer extended warranties for these products.
Using an ergonomic chair for computer work is hugely important if you want to make sure you feel comfortable at all times. Maybe this is your sign to make a huge change in your lifestyle.